How we can help
The Trust awards grants:
- To clear domestic gas and electricity debts owed to British Gas and other suppliers
- To purchase essential energy efficient white goods and cookers (Further Assistance Payment)
- For Bankruptcy and Debt Relief Order fees
- For boiler repairs/replacements
- To contribute towards funeral arrears
Energy Efficient White Goods - Payments for items such as cookers, washing machines or refrigerators may be made where a special need for the item is shown. We will need a letter from an appropriate professional, e.g. health visitor, social worker or advice worker, confirming your need. If you need the item because of illness or disability in your family, you will also need to send us proof of that illness or disability.
Boiler Repairs / Replacement - Before applying for a boiler repair / replacement from the Trust, please check whether you are eligible for help under British Gas' ECO Scheme. For further information on ECO, please call 0800 294 0207 or visit www.britishgas.co.uk/eco If you are eligible for help under ECO, the Trust cannot help you. If you are not eligible under ECO and the Trust can help you, payment will be considered in exceptional circumstances, particularly where supporting letters from appropriate professionals confirming the need are provided. Quotes for the work will need to be provided prior to an award of a grant and work commencing.
Bankruptcy Deposits / Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Applicants must not have previously been declared bankrupt. They must provide a full list of debts and have received advice from a professional advice worker or intermediary. Bankruptcy applications will not be considered from homeowners and those with assets above a value of £1,000 and total debts less than £15,000. DRO applications MUST include the ID number generated from the Insolvency Service's online application process. Please click here for the Bankruptcy & DRO declaration.
Funeral expenses - A payment may be considered where outstanding funeral expenses are causing hardship. Applications should indicate whether a payment has been received from the Social Fund towards those funeral expenses. Please tell us your relationship with the person who has died and why the estate of the deceased is unable to pay the funeral expenses.
Items the Trust cannot help with
The Trust cannot give you a loan or give you help with bills you have already paid or items you have already bought. The Trust will also not help with:
- Fines for criminal offences
- Overpayments of benefits
- Educational or training needs
- Business debts Debts to central government departments e.g. tax and national insurance
- Catalogues, credit cards, personal loans and other forms of non-secured lending
- Medical equipment, aids and adaptations
- Deposits to secure accommodation
- Council Tax arrears
- Rent/Mortgage arrears
- Water/sewerage debts