1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

How we can help

The Trust awards grants:

  • To clear domestic gas and electricity debts owed to British Gas and other suppliers
  • To purchase essential energy efficient white goods and cookers (Further Assistance Payment)
  • For Bankruptcy and Debt Relief Order fees
  • For boiler repairs/replacements
  • To contribute towards funeral arrears

We recommend you seek money / debt advice before applying to the Trust to increase your chance of a successful application. 

Energy Efficient White Goods - Payments for items such as cookers, washing machines or refrigerators may be made where a special need for the item is shown. We will need a letter from an appropriate professional, e.g. health visitor, social worker or advice worker, confirming your need. If you need the item because of illness or disability in your family, you will also need to send us proof of that illness or disability. 
Boiler Repairs / Replacement - Before applying for a boiler repair / replacement from the Trust, please check whether you are eligible for help under British Gas' ECO Scheme. For further information on ECO, please call 0800 294 0207 or visit  www.britishgas.co.uk/eco  If you are eligible for help under ECO, the Trust cannot help you. Please supply two separate quotes from Gas Safe registered companies for a new boiler. Your quote must state one of the following giving as much information as possible:

  • The boiler is over 10 years old
  • The boiler is inefficient (F or G) rated
  • Condemned boiler
  • Boiler parts are obsolete.

Payment will be considered in exceptional circumstances, particuarly where supporting letters from appropriate professionals confirming the need due to the above will strengthen the application. 

Bankruptcy Deposits / Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Applicants must not have previously been declared bankrupt.  They must provide a full list of debts and have received advice from a professional advice worker or intermediary. Bankruptcy applications will not be considered from homeowners and those with assets above a value of £1,000 and total debts less than £15,000. DRO applications MUST include the ID number generated from the Insolvency Service's online application process. Please remember that you must also submit a full list of debts for all clients seeking help with Bankruptcy Deposits or DRO fees. The Trusts cannot help with the Court Fees where the client is liable for these. Please click here for the Bankruptcy & DRO declaration.

Funeral expenses - A payment may be considered where outstanding funeral expenses are causing hardship. Applications should indicate whether a payment has been received from the Social Fund towards those funeral expenses. Please tell us your relationship with the person who has died and why the estate of the deceased is unable to pay the funeral expenses. 
Items the Trust cannot help with

The Trust cannot give you a loan or give you help with bills you have already paid or items you have already bought. The Trust will also not help with:

  • Fines for criminal offences
  • Overpayments of benefits
  • Educational or training needs
  • Business debts Debts to central government departments e.g. tax and national insurance
  • Catalogues, credit cards, personal loans and other forms of non-secured lending
  • Medical equipment, aids and adaptations
  • Deposits to secure accommodation
  • Holidays
  • Council Tax arrears
  • Rent/Mortgage arrears
  • Beds/carpets
  • Water/sewerage debts